|Open Date||Aug 11 2020 - 12:00:00 PM||Close Date||Ongoing|
|Position Title||Crossing Guard||Posting Type||Part-time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Contract|
|Department Group||Engineering Services||Hours per Week||12.5|
|Education||High School Diploma||Experience||0 - 1 years|
Our team is highly skilled, passionate about our community, and we care. Let’s grow together.
Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with two marinas, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, beaches and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day. With a population projected to grow to 200,000 people within the next 15 years, Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future.
The successful candidate will have a positive impact on our corporate culture by demonstrating the Town’s CARE core values (Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Engaged) through daily interactions with individuals at all levels of the organization, external contacts and elected officials.
By effectively building positive rapport and relationships both internally and externally, the successful candidate will help us achieve our mission that together we deliver services that make a difference in our community.
Reporting to and under the direction of the Transportation Project Engineer, the Crossing Guards are employed during the school year from September until June to supervise school crossings at or near a Public or Catholic School in the Town of Whitby for the purpose of assisting elementary school pupils using such crossings.
The Crossing Guard will need to be:
• completely aware of his/her surroundings, to affect some control over the flow of vehicular traffic at a school crosswalk or intersection;
• capable of sufficient alertness to manage and interact with the public;
• be punctual and be able to stay for the entire assigned shifts (morning, lunch and afternoon); and,
• able to wear the mandatory safety equipment supplied by the Town.
What You Bring To Our Team
As the successful applicant, you must possess:
• strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public;
• good judgement and decision making skills to respond to emergency situations, with the ability to remain calm;
• the ability to work as a team and independently with minimal supervision;
• the physical capability to stand and/or walk for up to four (4) hours per day (30 minutes at a time);
• an ability, and willingness, to work in adverse weather conditions; and,
• a valid Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Sector.
Salary: $18.37 per hour
Hours: Monday to Friday (up to four shifts per day) between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (shifts vary depending on the crossing location and school start/end times at the crossing).
Application Deadline: We accept applications throughout the year and hire on an as-needed basis.
Application Instructions: To be considered for this challenging opportunity, please apply through the Town of Whitby website; www.whitby.ca/employment.
The selection process may include assessment methods to further determine a candidate’s knowledge and skills for the position.
The Town of Whitby is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise Human Resource Services of any accommodations needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.