Our team is highly skilled, passionate about our community, and we care. Let’s grow together.
Who We Are
In Whitby, we are dedicated to our work, our community, and each other. We work hard, we have fun, and we celebrate our successes.
The Town of Whitby is a community in transformation that is located in the heart of Durham Region in the eastern Greater Toronto Area. Whitby is the second-largest municipality in the region and one of the fastest-growing communities in Canada. Located on Lake Ontario and only an hour east of Toronto, the population of Whitby is expected to grow from 140,000 to more than 200,000 by 2031. Whitby’s Official Plan has been updated to establish new directions for Whitby’s planned growth and development; the protection of our natural and built environments; urban design intensification; sustainability; community improvement; and, new employment within this time frame.
The Town of Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with an award-winning marina, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day.
Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future, with a community that is welcoming, growing and transforming. On our team, you can expect to make a difference through your work and have a direct impact on shaping our growing community. Creating an inclusive environment where employees experience job satisfaction and have rewarding careers is important to us. We live our values and foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement where people enjoy coming to work.
We want to be the preferred employer for the most talented people who care about the Town of Whitby, and are excited and proud to serve our vibrant community.
Let’s grow together.
What You Will Get To Do
The successful candidate will have a positive impact on our corporate culture by demonstrating the Town’s CARE core values (Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Engaged) through daily interactions with individuals at all levels of the organization, external contacts and elected officials.
By effectively building positive rapport and relationships both internally and externally, the successful candidate will help us achieve our mission that together we deliver services that make a difference in our community.
Reporting to and under the direction of the Transportation Program Manager, the Crossing Guards are employed during the school year from September until June to:
• supervise school crossings at and/or near a Public and/or Catholic School in the Town of Whitby and;
• assist elementary school students crossing the roadway at a school crossing and/or intersection in a safe and professional manner;
• provide excellent customer service, including responding to inquiries/concerns from the general public and other members of staff in a courteous manner; and,
• other duties as may be assigned.
Who You Are
As the successful applicant, you are:
• a safety conscious individual, with a demonstrated ability to adhere to the Occupational Health and Safety Act; including wearing all mandatory safety equipment supplied by the Town;
• a highly aware and alert individual with the ability to maintain control over the flow of vehicular traffic at a school crossing and/or intersection;
• well-developed interpersonal and public relations skills to appropriately interact with students and parents/caregivers and establish positive working relationships with all staff; and,
• a punctual and collaborative team member, with the ability to work independently and under minimal supervision , while remaining at the crossing for the entire assigned shifts (morning, lunch and afternoon).
What You Bring To Our Team
As the successful applicant, you must possess:
• a recent, valid and clean Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Sector.
• good judgement and decision making skills to calmly respond to emergency situations;
• physically capable of standing and/or walking for up to four (4) hours per day, thirty (30) minutes at a time, in varying weather conditions.
Union Affiliation: No Affiliation
Hours: Monday to Friday, working between two (2) shifts to eight (8) shifts per day. Hours of work are between 7:30 a.m. and 4:10 p.m; with an average of two and a half (2.5) hours per day. Please note, shift times/duration vary depending on the crossing location and school start/end times at the crossing.
Current Intended Work Location: Brooklin, Ontario. Please note, applications will also be accepted for casual positons which may service all of Whitby.
Application Deadline: We accept applications throughout the year and hire on an as-needed basis.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At the Town of Whitby, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences, which is why we are committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment for our team. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will be happy to provide. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.