Plans Examiner III
|Open Date||Sep 30 2019 - 04:15:00 PM||Close Date||Oct 15 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Plans Examiner III||Posting Type||Full-time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Permanent|
|Department Group||Building Division||Hours per Week||35|
|Department||Planning & Development||Openings||1|
|Education||Bachelor's Degree||Experience||5 years|
Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with two marinas, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, beaches and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day. With a population projected to grow to 200,000 people within the next 15 years, Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future.
Reporting to the Chief Building Inspector (CBO), the Senior Plans Examiner is responsible for:
- the review and examination of building plans and ensuring compliance with the Ontario Building Code and all applicable law and Town by-laws;
- reviewing building permit applications and the issuance of building permits;
- the coordination of approvals from other departments and outside agencies;
- maintaining all pertinent files and records;
- providing assistance and guidance on technical matters and building code interpretations to applicants and the general public; and,
- consults with other Building Division staff to discuss OBC interpretations and issues arising on submitted drawings and on construction sites, and assists in the building inspection process to coordinate issues and questions.
- other duties as may be assigned.
As the successful applicant, you must possess:
- a post-secondary Diploma or Degree in Architecture/Engineering Technology or a related discipline;
- a minimum of five (5) years of directly related experience; preferably in a municipal environment;
- be qualified as per The Ontario Building Code in the categories of:
- General/Legal processes
- Small Buildings
- Large Buildings
- Plumbing-All Buildings
- Building Services
- Building Structural
- Complex Building
- an intermediate level of knowledge in Microsoft Office applications and a working knowledge of AMANDA applications;
- strong reasoning, numerical, and technical skills to evaluate plans and Ontario Building Code requirements;
- well-developed interpersonal and public relations skills to maintain good relationships with staff and the general public;
- the ability to communicate orally and in written form in a clear and concise manner;
- strong research and analytical skills to keep abreast of changes in the field;
- demonstrated conflict resolution skills;
- ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, in a team environment; and,
- a valid Class “G” Driver’s Licence, maintained in good standing, with access to a personal vehicle.
Posting Date: Monday, September 30, 2019
Salary: $63,190 - $79,079 per annum (Band A)
Union Affiliation: CUPE Full-Time
Hours: Monday to Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Intended Work Location: Garden Street Branch
Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 15, 2019
To be considered for this challenging opportunity, please apply through the Town of Whitby website; Current Opportunities.
When applying for a position, please sign in using your account email and password. If you do not already have an account, please click on the “Don’t Have an Account?” link found on the sign in page. Please note that all applicants will need to create an account in order to apply for positions.